Monday, February 16, 2009

The Times We Are Living In

I've been walking around today with an almost surreal view of my surroundings. I can't believe the things that go on in the world around me. Last night I was watching a documentary on the sex-slave industry. I was sickened to say the least. I cannot describe the pit that the knowledge of these things forms in my stomach. While I know there are people out there fighting this thing, the most alarming factor is this: the industry flourishes as any other capital enterprise - it is meeting a demand.

Are we so depraved? Are we so inhuman? I wish that I could say that we are not, however I am beginning to lose faith.

And after I watched this, I retreated to my room. I was numb. My entire life suddenly seemed meaningless. What is this? What is the value of learning Anatomy and Physiology? What is the value of earning an A on a History and Systems Paper? What is the value of any of my dreams or aspirations compared to these human lives that are being destroyed? What makes this sickness even more bitter is that I thought this, and then rationalized it in my mind. Even if I could save some, there would still be millions exploited. What power do I really have? I can't accomplish any real change from my current vantage point.

Edmund Burke famously said "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

To give you an idea of what he stood for, he was an English member of parliament advocating for the American Colonies.

I don't know how to change things right now. I only know that I don't want them to go on this way.

I would encourage anyone to research this subject and to get involved in some way in opposition to it. I feel as if it is time for me to do more than nothing.

Some links about sex-trafficking:

http://www.rferl.org/Content/UN_Says_Human_Trafficking_Appears_To_Be_Worsening_/1492561.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/11/earlyshow/main3250963.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment